Community Development Project Profiles
See how the MEDC and communities have come together to increase private investment, create jobs and make lasting impacts in neighborhoods across the state through these project profiles.
This project transformed the historic David Whitney Building from a functionally obsolete, vacant structure into a vibrant mixed-use building.
09 E. Kirby Lofts LLC renovated Tushiyah United Hebrew School, built in 1922 and located in Midtown Detroit into 25 market-rate housing units and a 32-parking-space gated surface lot.
HopCat LLC fully renovated 4265 Woodward Avenue into its third Michigan brew pub. The 7,800-square-foot building required significant exterior masonry repair, tuck-pointing, window replacement and a new roof.
The project adapted the building to provide for 14 residential units and surface lot parking spaces designed for Wayne State grad students or other professionals who find midtown desirable.
This mixed-use development consists of 61 market-rate one and two-bedroom apartments with 5,200 square feet of commercial office space on the second floor and 2,300 square feet of retails units on the garden level.
Diamonds and Rifles LLC and Gold Cash Gold LLC historically renovated a vacant three-story building on approximately 0.10 acres located in Detroit’s Corktown District.
678 Selden LLC has historically renovated the three-story apartment building at 678 Selden Street in Midtown Detroit into a mixed-use commercial/residential building.
This project redeveloped the five-story, 175,000-square-foot J.W. Knapp Company Building located in downtown Lansing.
Alex and Beck LLC restored the vacant, historic Thomas Beck building to a form and function fitting of its 1879 historical character.
Located at the south entrance of the Capitol Park District, the building has been historically renovated into 56 residential loft apartments as well as approximately 51,000 square feet of commercial office space.
This project redeveloped a 50,000-square-foot, five-story building located at 20 Witherell Street in the city of Detroit. The building was constructed in 1917 and has remained mostly unoccupied for the past 20 years.
The Woodward Garden Block Development involved the revitalization of one of the last derelict blocks located on Woodward between Mack and Warren.